Thanks to St. Margaret's Church, bells have rang out over Great Barr for centuries.
The present bells were cast by Edward Arnold of Leicester in 1796.
However, there were bells in the tower before this time. It is thought that when the old bells were removed they may have been melted down and incorporated into the new ring.
The new bells were first rung on 25th July 1796 at the Barr Wake celebrations.
The bells rang out over Great Barr for the next 100 years before being rehung in 1894. It was not until 1924 that further work was needed when the tenor bell cracked and had to be recast.
The bells are an important part of the church and anyone looking to find out more can contact the Parish Office.
Current Bell Ringers
Our Bell Ringers meet on Fridays from 8.00pm-9.30 pm for Practice. The ringers make up teams to ring for the 11.00 am and 6.30 pm services on Sundays.
The Ringers are part of a national association and join in local competitions and peels for special events. Members are welcome at other towers around the country. Our Ringers are available for weddings and also pursue a social side of live, and contribute to the wider life of St. Margaret’s.
Everyone is welcome to come along and see if ringing is for them. Training is provided for those who wish to get involved and the rules of the Tower need to be followed.
Below are a number of images of the bells at rest, along with a view of part of the Parish looking North West towards Merrions Wood from the Bell Tower: